At Carrfield Primary Academy, it is our policy that all children wear a uniform when attending school or when participating in school-organised events outside of normal school hours. Our policy for uniform is based on the belief that school uniform:
- Promotes a sense of pride in our school and develops a sense of community and belonging;
- Ensures that children of all races, religions and backgrounds feel welcome;
- Identifies children with our school when taking part in out-of-school educational activities and visits;
- Allows all children to feel equal to others in terms of appearance;
- Does not cause a distraction during the school day;
- Has a positive impact on the behaviour of children in school.
The DfE’s non-statutory guidance on school uniforms (2013) supports these beliefs and strongly encourages schools to have a uniform.
By allowing their child to attend Carrfield Primary Academy, parents/carers are expected to support the school uniform policy. It is the responsibility of the parent/carer to ensure that their child has the correct uniform, and that it is clean and in good repair. School advises that all items of uniform, PE kit and any other items (e.g. wellies, coats, bags) should be clearly marked with the child’s name and class.
If a parent/carer would like to modify the school uniform policy for their child, for example on religious grounds, they should make representation to the Head Teacher. School will look sympathetically at such requests.
The school uniform policy is reviewed annually and a reminder leaflet is sent home to parents and carers prior to the summer holidays. Parents and carers of new starters to Carrfield will also be provided with a copy of the uniform policy and the leaflet prior to their child starting.
The school uniform at Carrfield Primary Academy is as follows:
- Burgundy sweater, jumper or cardigan – branded with school logo or plain;
- Grey or black trousers/skirt (smart short trousers with no cargo pockets may be worn in the summer term);
- White shirt/blouse or polo shirt – polo shirts may also be burgundy;
- White or grey socks;
- Plain black shoes – sandals may be worn in the summer but toes must be covered;
- Alternatively, children may also wear burgundy and white gingham summer dresses.
Branded Carrfield school uniform (jumpers, shirts, bags, hats etc) can be purchased from the TESCO website (www.tesco.com/ues) but plain uniform without school logos are also acceptable.
When children are participating in indoor PE lessons, they will need the following kit:
- Pumps or trainers.
In addition, for outdoor PE lessons, they will additionally need:
- Jogging/tracksuit bottoms;
- Sports top, e.g. tracksuit top or hoodie.
On health and safety grounds, we do not allow jewellery to be worn with the following exceptions:
- Small stud ear-rings in pierced ears;
- A watch;
- Medical identification bracelets.
School encourages that if parent/carers wish to have their child’s ears pierced, this should be done at the start of the summer holidays so that children do not have to miss PE lessons – children must be able to remove ear rings for PE or swimming lessons. We cannot take responsibility for any items of jewellery that go missing in school.